June 01, 2003

 

 Obituaries - June 1, 2003

Posted on May 15, 2003
 
Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org

AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member
Nonmember

Robert E. Arline

Dr. Arline (AUB '49), 84, Greenwood, Miss., died Feb. 28, 2003. During retirement, he served as a consultant in the catfish and water analysis industries, and was a meat inspector for the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce. Before retiring in 1977, Dr. Arline owned a practice in Greenwood. His career also included serving the MDA as area veterinarian from 1949-2000.

Dr. Arline was a past president and secretary-treasurer of the Mississippi Board of Veterinary Medicine. A life member of the Mississippi VMA, he had served as president of the association. Dr. Arline was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1987.

He was on the advisory board of the Leflore County 4-H Club, and a member of the Master 4-H Club of Georgia and the Mississippi 4-H Club Foundation. Dr. Arline served on the Civil Service Commission for the city of Greenwood and on the Salvation Army board. He also donated his time to the Leflore County Humane Society.

Dr. Arline was an Army veteran of World War II. His wife, Eloise, and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to First Christian Church, P.O. Box 17, Greenwood, MS 38935.

Alan P. Davis

Dr. Davis (MSU '70), 59, Pontiac, Ill., died March 14, 2003. He had owned the Veterinary Clinic of Flanagan in Flanagan, Ill., since 1971. Dr. Davis had served on the National Board Examination Committee. A member of the AASV, he was named Swine Practitioner of the Year in 1994.

Dr. Davis was active in the Boy Scouts. His wife, Nancy, and four sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Kenneth Pienta Research for Prostate Cancer Department of Urology, c/o Katherine Loberg, 1500 Medical Center Drive, 2916 Taubman Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0330.

E. Craig DeLong

Dr. DeLong (OSU '58), 73, Fort Myers, Fla., died Jan. 8, 2003. Prior to retirement, he practiced small animal medicine for 35 years. A Korean War veteran, Dr. DeLong served in the Army. His wife, Ann, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Buckeye Boys Ranch Equestrian Center, 5665 Hoover Road, Grove City, OH 43123; or Hospice of Cape Cod, 270 Communication Way, Hyannis, MA 02601.

Anthony F. Favata

Dr. Favata (COR '40), 84, Rochester, N.Y., died Feb. 26, 2003. From 1941 until retirement in 1988, he practiced at Boyink's Small Animal Hospital in Rochester. Dr. Favata was an Army veteran of World War II, serving as a meat inspector and taking care of the working dogs. He attained the rank of major.

Dr. Favata is survived by his daughter. Memorials may be made to GRHCA/Hospice Unit, 70 Metro Park, Rochester, NY 14623; or LollyPop Farm Animal Shelter, 99 Victor Road, Fairport, NY 14450.

William C. Hare

Dr. Hare (GA '53), 81, Port Charlotte, Fla., died March 5, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1980, he owned Randallstown Animal Hospital in Randallstown, Md. Following graduation, Dr. Hare owned a practice in Sykesville, Md. He was a past president of the Maryland VMA and the Baltimore City VMA.

A World War II veteran, Dr. Hare served in the Navy. He was past president of the Freedom District Lions Club of Maryland, the Port Charlotte Lions Club, the Master Gardeners of Port Charlotte, and the Home Owners Association of Port Charlotte.

Dr. Hare's wife, Doris, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Maryland VMA, 8015 Corporate Drive, Suite A, Baltimore, MD 21236-4977; or the Friends for Extension, c/o Holly Shackelford, Master Gardeners of Port Charlotte, Charlotte County Cooperative Extension, 25550 Harbor View Rd, Unit 3, Port Charlotte, FL 33980.

Franklin M. Loew

Dr. Loew (COR '65), 63, Worcester, Mass., died April 22, 2003. He was president of Becker College since 1998. Prior to that, Dr. Loew was president and chief executive officer of Medical Foods Inc., a start-up therapeutic foods company in Cambridge, Mass. He had also served as the dean of Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine (September 1995 to January 1997) and the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine (1982-1995). The Franklin M. Loew Veterinary Medical Education Center at Tufts is named in his honor.

During his career, Dr. Loew had been a professor at the University of Saskatchewan, where he was also a Medical Research Council Fellow. In the 1970s, he served on the team in western Canada that helped commercialize canola oil, earning a Queen's Jubilee Medal from the governor-general of Canada for that achievement. Dr. Loew was a director of comparative medicine at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, an elected member of the National Academy of Science's Institute of Medicine, a visiting scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and a senior fellow at Tufts University.

He served as a consultant to Columbia and The Ohio State universities, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the Pew Charitable Trusts, the Food and Drug Administration, the National Institutes of Health, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the Smithsonian Institution, and the Department of Agriculture. Dr. Loew was president of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges in 1985-1986. He was a diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine.

Dr. Loew served two terms on the board of directors of the National Association for Biomedical Research. He chaired a National Research Council committee to review all intramural and extramural research programs at the Department of Agriculture. Dr. Loew was also a trustee of the New England Aquarium and the Tuskegee Advisory Committee for the Center of Bioethics and Health Care Policy. Previous board memberships included the Marine Biological Laboratory and the Baltimore Zoological Society, and he had chaired the Boston Zoological Society and the NRC Commission on Life Sciences and Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources.

Dr. Loew wrote articles for several publications including Science, Nature Biotechnology, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and national veterinary journals. He authored the 1998 book titled "Vet in the Saddle." Dr. Loew is survived by his wife, Deborah; two sons; and two stepsons.

Memorials may be made to the Franklin M. Loew Memorial Fund at Becker College, 61 Sever St., Worcester, MA 01609; the Humane Society of the United States, 2100 L St. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20037; or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Membership and Donor Services, 424 E. 92nd St., 4th Floor, New York, NY 10128.

John T. McAfee

Dr. McAfee (MSU '43), 81, Panama City, Fla., died Dec. 27, 2002. Retired, he owned McAfee Animal Hospital in Valparaiso, Ind., from 1945-1986. Prior to that, Dr. McAfee worked for the Department of Agriculture. He was a past president of the Calumet Area VMA.

Dr. McAfee served as an Explorer leader and district superintendent. His wife, Eleanor; two sons; and three daughters survive him. One son, Dr. Lawrence T. McAfee (PUR '73), is a veterinarian in Valparaiso. Memorials may be made to the Eden Lutheran Church, P.O. Box 360, Munising, MI 49862.

Irwin H. Roberts

Dr. Roberts (COR '37), 90, Albuquerque, N.M., died Jan. 20, 2003. From 1962 until retirement in 1976, he was director of the Department of Agriculture's parasite research laboratory in Albuquerque. Following graduation, Dr. Roberts practiced briefly in New York. He then joined the USDA as junior veterinarian in Raleigh, N.C. Dr. Roberts later transferred to the Animal Disease and Parasite Research Division, serving as its representative in Springfield, Ill., for several years.

In 1970, he received the USDA Superior Research Award, for research resulting in the discovery of the cause and prevention of the cockle defect in sheepskins. Dr. Roberts was also part of the team that received this award in 1952, for success in the chemical control of sheep scabies.

He is survived by his wife, Barbara, and two daughters.

Burton A. Ross

Dr. Ross (MSU '42), 84, Bloomfield Hills, Mich., died Feb. 17, 2003. He founded Ross Hospital for Animals in Bloomfield Hills in 1967. Earlier in his career, Dr. Ross practiced in Pontiac, Mich.

He is survived by a daughter and three sons. One son, Dr. Jonathan H. Ross (MSU '83), runs the Ross Hospital for Animals.

Richard C. Tolley

Dr. Tolley (COL '53), 83, Sun Lakes, Ariz., died Feb. 11, 2003. He was the founder of the Animal Hospital Center and Belleview Animal Clinic in Englewood, Colo., where he practiced more than 35 years. Dr. Tolley was an Army intelligence officer of World War II. After the war, he served in the Army of Occupation in Oberammergau, Germany. Dr. Tolley attained the rank of lieutenant colonel. A member of the Colorado VMA, he was past president of the Denver Area VMS and the Intermountain VMA.

Dr. Tolley's wife, Peggy, and a daughter survive him. His brother, Dr. Robert F. Tolley (COL '38), is a veterinarian in Williamsburg, Va. Memorials may be made to the School of Veterinary Medicine at Colorado State University, P.O. Box 1870, Fort Collins, CO 80522-2870.

J. D. Williamson

Dr. Williamson (MSU '50), 83, Clarksville, Mo., died Feb. 22, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1986, he co-owned the Williamson and Allen Veterinary Clinic in Clarksville. Earlier in his career, Dr. Williamson practiced briefly in Lafayette County, Missouri.

An Army veteran, he served during World War II in Alaska and the Persian Gulf Command. Dr. Williamson attained the rank of 1st lieutenant. He was a board member and past president of the Clopton School Board and the Pike County Hospital Board. In 1972, Dr. Williamson was named Clarksville Citizen of the Year.

He is survived by four children.