|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
|John F. Quinn|
Former AVMA president, Dr. John F. Quinn (MSU '43), Portland, Mich., died Oct. 12, 2002, at the age of 81. He was an AVMA honor roll member.
Prior to retirement in 1980, Dr. Quinn was state veterinarian and chief of the Animal Health Division of the Michigan Department of Agriculture. His career also included eight years of private practice.
Dr. Quinn joined the MDA as institutional veterinarian in 1947. He was named head of the Enforcement Section of the Animal Health Division in 1955, and state veterinarian and chief of the Animal Health Division in 1959. Under Dr. Quinn's direction, Michigan took long strides in animal disease control. In 1967, it achieved certification as brucellosis free and hog cholera free.
Dr. Quinn was elected to the AVMA Executive Board in 1965, serving as chairman of the board and board of governors in 1969 and in 1973. He was elected to the AVMA Council on Public Health and Regulatory Veterinary Medicine in 1976 and 1981.
Dr. Quinn was installed as president of the AVMA in 1973. In his address to the House of Delegates, he talked about how the profession had become vulnerable to malpractice suits and the role of the AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Trust. Dr. Quinn noted the decreasing availability of food animal practitioners in some parts of the country.
He recognized the value of well-trained animal technicians to the veterinary profession, and was of the opinion that they should be trained in schools located and operated in conjunction with a veterinary college. Dr. Quinn was concerned with dog and cat overpopulation and put a priority on educating pet owners as to their responsibilities when acquiring or purchasing a pet.
He was elected president of the North Central States Livestock Sanitary Officials Association in 1962, and served as president of the United States Animal Health Association in 1967-1968. While president of the USAHA, Dr. Quinn established the association's first standing committee on animal welfare. A life member of the Michigan VMA, he served as president in 1967. Dr. Quinn was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine.
His many honors include the Animal Welfare Institute Albert Schweitzer Medal in 1968, the Michigan VMA Service Award in 1970, the MSU College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Award in 1971, and the Department of Agriculture Animal Health Award in 1980.
Dr. Quinn is survived by his wife, Arlis; daughters, Eileen, Mary, and Elizabeth; and sons, Riley, Timothy, and Philip. Memorials are suggested to the Michigan Animal Health Foundation, c/o Michigan VMA, 2144 Commons Parkway, Okemos, MI 48864; or the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100, Schaumburg, IL 60173.
|William W. Clifton |
Dr. Clifton (TEX '50), 84, Forreston, Texas, died Feb. 17, 2003. Prior to retirement, he owned Clifton Animal Hospital in Lubbock, Texas. Dr. Clifton was recognized by the Texas Senate for 50 years of service to his community. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army Air Corps.
Dr. Clifton's two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, 1931 N. Meacham Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173; Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3321 33rd St., Lubbock, TX 79410; or the Mildred and Shirley Garrison Center, 3710 4th St., Lubbock, TX 79415.
|Michael W. Douglas |
Dr. Douglas (WSU '80), 54, Cedar Crest, N.M., died Oct. 20, 2002. He owned Canyon Crossroads Animal Hospital in Tijeras, N.M. Dr. Douglas also published a local newspaper, and taught high school science, mathematics, and astronomy. From 1981-1984, he owned Academy Animal Clinic in Albuquerque, N.M.
Dr. Douglas is survived by his wife, Dr. Janeen Counts (ORS '84); a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, 3150 Carlisle Blvd N.E., Suite 35, Albuquerque, NM 87110.
|Waymon G. DuBose |
Dr. DuBose (TEX '43), 84, San Angelo, Texas, died Feb. 10, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1981, he worked for the Department of Agriculture as a veterinary medical officer. Following graduation, Dr. DuBose worked for the health department of the city of San Antonio, Texas. He then practiced in New Braunfels, Texas, and San Antonio, moving to San Angelo in 1946. Dr. DuBose owned the DuBose Animal Clinic in San Angelo for more than 30 years.
He was a member of the Texas VMA and the West Texas VMA. Dr. DuBose served as a captain in the Army Reserve. His wife, Francine; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the St. Mark Presbyterian Church Building Fund, 2506 Johnson, San Angelo, TX 76904.
|Jack H. Gregg Sr. |
Dr. Gregg (OSU '50), 81, Bermuda Dunes, Calif., died March 17, 2003. Retired, he established the Gregg Animal Hospital in La Habra, Calif., in 1962. Earlier in his career, Dr. Gregg owned a practice in Nappanee, Ind. A World War II veteran, he served as a naval aviator. Dr. Gregg attained the rank of lieutenant.
His wife, Elizabeth, and two sons survive him. One son, Dr. Jack Gregg Jr. (CAL '70), practices at Gregg Animal Hospital. Memorials are suggested to a pet rescue organization.
|Robert L. Hawley |
Dr. Hawley (COL '47), 99, Clackamas, Ore., died Dec. 18, 2002. Prior to retirement, he worked for the Department of Agriculture in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii. Earlier in his career, Dr. Hawley practiced at the Portland Dog and Cat Hospital. He was a member of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians.
|Olaf R. Hedstrom |
Dr. Hedstrom (CAL '76), 54, Corvallis, Ore., died Feb. 11, 2003. Since 1985, he was co-director of the cell and tissue analysis facilities at the Environmental Health Sciences Center in Corvallis. Prior to that, Dr. Hedstrom was associate professor and a veterinary pathologist at Oregon State University, and practiced at the Town and Country Animal Clinic in Corvallis.
Dr. Hedstrom was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists. His brother-in-law, Dr. Timothy M. Lenehan (CAL '76), is a veterinarian in Escondido, Calif. Memorials may be made to the Ole Hedstrom Memorial Scholarship Fund, c/o Corvallis High School, 836 N.W. 11th St., Corvallis, OR 97330.
|John B. Jones |
Dr. Jones (KSU '60), 72, El Paso, Texas, died Feb. 9, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1993, he owned Jones Veterinary Clinic and helped found the Animal Emergency Center, both in El Paso. From 1975-1979, he served as an alderman in El Paso, helping establish the El Paso Emergency Medical Services System.
A Korean War veteran, he served in the Air Force. Dr. Jones' wife, Delaine; two daughters; and a son survive him. His cousin, Dr. Robert Rohrbaugh (KSU '68), is a veterinarian in El Paso.
|Bradley D. Kuehl |
Dr. Kuehl (ISU '87), 43, Elkader, Iowa, died Jan. 31, 2003. He had owned Elkader Veterinary Clinic for 16 years. Dr. Kuehl is survived by his wife, Dr. Kimberly J. Kuehl (ISU '89), who runs a practice in Prairie du Chien, Wis.; two sons; and a daughter. His cousin, Dr. Kenneth Reimer (ISU '65), is a veterinarian in Elkader.
Memorials may be made to an education fund for Dr. Kuehl's children and sent to P.O. Box 1007, Elkader, IA 52043; Iowa VMA, 5921 Fleur Drive, Des Moines, IA 50321; or to Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 2503 Veterinary Administration, Ames, IA 50011.
|John L. "Jack" Mara |
Dr. Mara (COR '51), 78, Topeka, Kan., died March 27, 2003. A longtime advocate of clinical nutrition research and education for veterinarians, he had a career spanning nearly 50 years, 21 of them with Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc.
Following graduation, Dr. Mara owned a practice in Huntington, N.Y., for 28 years. In 1979, he joined Hill's as a professional services representative for New York, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania. Dr. Mara was appointed director of veterinary affairs in 1982 and held that position until he retired in 2000.
During his tenure as director, he created and instituted a program to establish a nutrition curriculum in veterinary colleges, and helped establish clinical nutrition as a teaching topic by assisting in the creation of more than 19 graduate/PhD residencies. Dr. Mara was instrumental in establishing the American College of Veterinary Nutrition, and was granted honorary diplomate status in 1994.
Recognizing the value of veterinary technicians, he was a pioneer in forging continuing education opportunities for them. Dr. Mara supported the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America, and was instrumental in aiding in its development as an organization. The AVMA designated the veterinary technician educational program of the AVMA Annual Convention as the Dr. Jack L. Mara Seminars in Veterinary Technology.
He was the guiding force behind the Leo K. Bustad Companion Animal Veterinarian Award. In 1994, AVMA President Leon H. Russel chose Dr. Mara for the President's Award for his efforts to promote professional awareness of the human/animal bond through the Bustad Award.
Dr. Mara served as a trustee of the Morris Animal Foundation and as vice president of its veterinary division. He was awarded life membership by the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society. Dr. Mara was presented with the Western Veterinary Conference Distinguished Service Award in 1988. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army Air Corps as a nose gunner on a B24 bomber, flying on 26 combat missions.
Dr. Mara's four sons and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Morris Animal Foundation, 45 Inverness Drive E., Englewood, CO 80112; the Cornell University Mara Oncology Fund, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY 14853; or Kansas State University Jack Mara Fund (where the Veterinary Learning Center will be renamed for him), Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Manhattan, KS 66506.
|Peri T. Roden |
Dr. Roden (LSU '96), 35, Oviedo, Fla., died Jan. 7, 2003. She practiced in the Orlando area for six years, and traveled to Turkey to help spay, neuter, and vaccinate stray animals in that country. Dr. Roden is survived by her husband, Dr. James C. Roden (LSU '96).
Memorials may be made to the Capital Area Animal Welfare Society, P.O. Box 77765, Baton Rouge, LA 70879.
|Reginald G. Thomson |
Dr. Thomson (ONT '59), 68, Woodstock, Ontario, Canada, died Dec. 14, 2002. Retired, he was founding dean and professor of pathology at the Atlantic Veterinary College in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. The college conferred emeritus status on him. Earlier in his career, Dr. Thomson chaired the Department of Pathology at the University of Guelph, was planning coordinator for Atlantic Veterinary College for three years, and served at the University of Saskatchewan. His research interests included pneumonia in cattle, particularly shipping fever.
Dr. Thomson was editor of the Canadian Journal of Comparative Medicine for 12 years. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he authored the textbook titled General Veterinary Pathology. Dr. Thomson is survived by his wife, Helen, and four daughters.
|Clarence G. Ulrich |
Dr. Ulrich (WSU '53), 79, Dongola, Ill., died Feb. 20, 2003. Before retiring in 1988, he owned a practice in Dongola for 35 years. Dr. Ulrich served on the Illinois Livestock Advisory Board in 1966, involved in the eradication of hog cholera. He was a past president of the Illinois State VMA. A Navy veteran, Dr. Ulrich served as a tail gunner on a torpedo bomber aboard the U.S.S. Savo Island.
His wife, Elva, and two sons survive him. One son, Dr. Anthony G. Ulrich (ILL '84), owns Ulrich Veterinary Clinic in Dongola.
|Douglas F. Watson Sr. |
Dr. Watson (UP '37), 89, Blacksburg, Va., died Feb. 11, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1979, he was a professor at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Dr. Watson helped establish the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. The Douglas F. "Duke" Watson Heritage Room at the college was named in his honor.
Earlier in his career, Dr. Watson practiced in Peru. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army and the Reserve. Dr. Watson attained the rank of lieutenant colonel. He is survived by two sons and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Blacksburg Rescue Squad, 200 Progress St. N.E., Blacksburg, VA 24060.