April 01, 2003

 

 Obituaries - April 1, 2003

Posted on March 15, 2003
 

Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org

AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member
Nonmember
 

Robert L. Boss

Dr. Boss (OKL '61), 73, Edmond, Okla., died Jan. 27, 2003. Retired, he had been a partner at Equine Medical Associates in Edmond, an equine surgical practice he designed and developed in 1979. Following graduation, Dr. Boss owned a large animal practice in Amarillo, Texas, for 14 years.

President of the AAEP in 1982, he had served on its board of directors and on several of its committees. Dr. Boss was a charter member of the Texas Academy of Veterinary Practitioners and a past director of the Texas VMA. He was founder and past president of the Oklahoma Academy of Veterinary Practitioners. Dr. Boss had been a trustee and secretary of the AVMA PLIT, a member of the AVMA Council on Veterinary Service, and Oklahoma chairman for the Morris Animal Foundation.

He served in the Army Veterinary Corps at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., from 1952-1954. Dr. Boss is survived by his wife, Ruth; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the First Baptist Church Piano Fund, 1300 E. 33rd St., Edmond, OK 73013; or the Fine Arts Institute Building Fund, P. O. Box 11, Edmond, OK 73083.


Adam S. Brunton

Dr. Brunton (AUB '51), 82, Vicksburg, Miss., died Jan. 16, 2003. From 1951-1991, he was a partner and owner of the Vicksburg Animal Hospital. Dr. Brunton was a member of the Mississippi VMA. A World War II veteran, he served as a pilot in the Royal Air Force. Dr. Brunton emigrated from Scotland to the United States in 1946.

His two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Great Animal Adventures Children's Museum, 721 China St., Vicksburg, MS 39182; or the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, c/o Linda Kay, 317 S. College St., Auburn University, AL 36849.


Arthur R. Chambers

Dr. Chambers (AUB '49), 81, Jacksonville, Fla., died Dec. 31, 2002. He owned Chambers Animal Hospital in Jacksonville since 1951. A past president of the Florida VMA, Dr. Chambers had served as Florida's delegate to the AVMA, and on the AVMA House Advisory Committee. He was honored with the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, and was past chair of the Alumni Advisory Council of Veterinary Medicine.

A World War II veteran, Dr. Chambers served in the Navy as a fighter pilot on the U.S.S. Yorktown. He was the recipient of two Distinguished Flying Crosses and five Air Medals, for missions over Iwo Jima and the Japanese mainland. Dr. Chambers was a past president of the North Jacksonville Rotary Club and a member of the Westside Rotary Club.

His wife, Mildred; two sons; and three daughters survive him. Dr. Chambers' grandson, McKenzie Daniel, is a third-year veterinary student at Auburn University. Memorials may be made to Community Hospice of Northeast Florida, 5266 Sunbeam Road, Jacksonville, FL 32257; or the Florida Baptist Home for Children, 2300 Bartram Road, Jacksonville, FL 32207.


Norman Frank

Dr. Frank (UP '68), 60, Miami Beach, Fla., died Dec. 28, 2002. Since 2001, he had owned Beach Veterinary Housecalls Inc., serving Miami Beach and the vicinity. Earlier in his career, Dr. Frank owned a mixed practice in the Appalachian Mountains of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania. He had also served as public health veterinarian with the Miami-Dade Health Department for two years.

Dr. Frank had an interest in training and driving Standardbred racing horses. In 1989, he founded Reptile and Amphibian Magazine. Dr. Frank was a member of the American Association of Housecall Veterinarians, the Pennsylvania VMA, the Florida VMA, and the South Florida VMA. His wife, Gail, survives him. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, 9900 Ninth St. North, St. Petersburg, FL 33716.


Thomas P. Gibson

Dr. Gibson (GA '63), 63, Hanahan, S.C., died Dec. 12, 2002. He owned Hanahan Veterinary Clinic since 1963. Dr. Gibson was a member of the South Carolina VMA. His wife, Julia, and three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Julia Gibson Amick Endowed Scholarship Fund at Clemson University, Clemson Foundation, 110 Daniel Drive, Clemson, SC 29634; or the Salvation Army, 4248 Dorchester Road, North Charleston, SC 29405.


Robert C. Glover

Dr. Glover (OSU '42), 88, Port Richey, Fla., died Jan. 14, 2003. From 1953 until retirement in 1977, he owned Bramer Animal Hospital in Evanston, Ill. Dr. Glover also opened the Dempster Animal Clinic in Skokie, Ill. Following graduation, he practiced in St. Louis for a year before joining the Bramer hospital.

A life member of the Illinois State VMA and the Chicago VMA, Dr. Glover had served as president of both associations. He was honored with the Veterinary Service Award by the ISVMA. Dr. Glover had served on the board of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign College of Veterinary Medicine. He was active in the Evanston Lions Club and volunteered with the Meals on Wheels program in Tarpon Springs, Fla., for several years.

Dr. Glover's wife, Margaret; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the St. Martin's New Capital Building Fund, 15801 U. S. Highway 19, Hudson, FL 34667.


Karl J. Heldrich

Dr. Heldrich (ISU '86), 42, White Hall, Md., died Dec. 6, 2002. He owned Prettyboy Veterinary Hospital in Freeland, Md., for 13 years. Prior to that, Dr. Heldrich practiced in Sanford, Maine, for three years. He was a member of the AAHA.

Dr. Heldrich is survived by his wife, Renee; two sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Karl J. Heldrich Memorial Fund, Our Lady of Grace Church, 18310 Middletown Road, Parkton, MD 21120; or the Companion Animal Fund of the Veterinary College of Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011.


Alan L. McClain

Dr. McClain (AUB '63), 64, Jacksonville, Fla., died Jan. 5, 2003. He owned Murray Hill Animal Hospital in Jacksonville for more than 30 years. Dr. McClain was a member of the Jacksonville Veterinary Association. He served in the Army.

Dr. McClain is survived by his wife, Jill; two daughters; and two sons. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Alan L. McClain Memorial Fund, c/o Mandarin Seventh Day Adventist Church, 10911 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL 32257.


Robert A. Moody

Dr. Moody (OSU '38), 87, San Rafael, Calif., died Dec. 1, 2002. He worked for the Department of Agriculture in disease eradication and meat inspection for 39 years, retiring as area supervisor in Salem, Ore. A World War II veteran, Dr. Moody served in the Veterinary Corps in the southwest Pacific area. He attained the rank of major.

Dr. Moody's wife, Ruth; three daughters; and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hospice of Marin, 150 Nellen Ave., Corte Madera, CA 94925.


James T. Murphy Sr.

Dr. Murphy (CAL '55), 78, Sebastopol, Calif., died Jan. 25, 2003. He was the founder of Analy Veterinary Hospital in Sebastopol, practicing there for 47 years. A World War II veteran, Dr. Murphy served in the Navy aboard the S.S. Santa Monica, from 1943-1946, participating in the invasions of Guadalcanal, Bougainvillea, Saipan, Guam, and Okinawa.

He volunteered with the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue, the California Rescue Dog Association, and the National Association of Search and Rescue. Dr. Murphy mobilized an animal search-and-rescue committee of the Redwood Empire VMA to respond when summoned by the state or county office of emergency services. In 1982, former California governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. recognized him for his contributions through the California Emergency Task Force on Earthquake Preparedness.

Dr. Murphy's two sons and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the California Rescue Dog Association, 1926 Hillman Ave., Belmont, CA 94002; Sonoma County Search and Rescue, 2796 Ventura Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95403; or Redwood Empire VMA, #610, 1275 4th St., CA 95404.


Charles M. Spidle

Dr. Spidle (ISU '52), 76, Sioux Falls, S.D., died Oct. 30, 2002. Prior to retirement in 1989, he worked for the Department of Agriculture, first in Spearfish, S.D., and then in Sioux Falls. Earlier in his career, Dr. Spidle owned a practice in Lake Preston, S.D. He was a member of the South Dakota VMA. A World War II veteran, Dr. Spidle served in the Navy.


Richard H. Teske

Dr. Teske (GA '65), 63, McLean, Va., died Dec. 19, 2002. Before retiring in 1997, he was associate director for policy at the Food and Drug Administration Center for Veterinary Medicine. During his 27-year career with the FDA-CVM, Dr. Teske had served as branch chief and director of the Division of Veterinary Medical Research, associate director for science, and deputy director and acting director of the CVM. Earlier in his career, he was director of toxicology at Hill Top Research Inc., in Miamiville, Ohio. Dr. Teske had been an adjunct professor at the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.

A diplomate of the American Board of Veterinary Toxicology, he was past chair of its examining committee. Dr. Teske was a fellow of the American Academy of Veterinary and Comparative Toxicology, a member the American Society of Veterinary Physiologists and Pharmacologists, a fellow of the American Academy of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, and a member of the Association of Government Toxicologists.

His wife, Helen, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Gideons International, 2900 Lebanon Road, Nashville, TN 37214; or the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA 24061.