|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact the AVMF, 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100, Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360; (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689; www.avmf.org.|
|Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 6754; e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org; or fax at (847) 925-9239.|
AVMA honor roll member
||Kenneth E. Acre Sr. |
Dr. Acre (KSU '65), 69, Eustis, Fla., died Aug. 31, 2002. He was the founder of Anicare Supply, an animal health care supply company. Dr. Acre focused on orthopedic surgery and Greyhound racing dogs. He co-founded Howell Branch Animal Hospital in Winter Park, Fla., in 1969. Dr. Acre was a member of the National Greyhound Association.
He served in the Army. Dr. Acre's son, Dr. Kenneth E. Acre Jr. (FL '93), a veterinarian in Tulare, Calif., survives him.
||Harold F. Bloom |
Dr. Bloom (OSU '55), 76, Sylvania, Ohio, died Aug. 18, 2002. A practitioner for more than 40 years, he owned Bloom Veterinary Clinic, a small animal practice in Sylvania. Earlier in his career, Dr. Bloom had practiced in other parts of Ohio, including Oak Harbor, Sandusky, Youngstown, and Akron.
He served in the Navy during World War II. Dr. Bloom was a past president of Rotary clubs in Sylvania and Reynolds Corner, Ohio. His wife, Betty; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368-2454; or Alzheimer's Association, 919 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1100, Chicago, IL 60611-1676.
||Richard B. Fish |
Dr. Fish (COR '43), 81, Canisteo, N.Y., died Aug. 1, 2002. Prior to retirement in 1985, he was a New York state and federal meat inspector. Earlier in his career, Dr. Fish had practiced in Canisteo and Mount Upton, N.Y. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army.
Dr. Fish was a past president of the Canisteo Rotary Club and had served on the Canisteo Central School Board of Education. Memorials may be made to the Memorial Fund of the First Presbyterian Church, c/o Irene Curd, 41 Third St., Canisteo, NY 14823; Branchport Fire Department, Branchport, NY 14418; or the Yates County Sheriff's Department, Penn Yan, NY 14527.
||Seymour Glasofer |
Dr. Glasofer (MID '43), 81, Newport News, Va., died Sept. 5, 2002. Prior to retirement, he practiced in Newport News for 42 years, and was a co-founder of the Peninsula Emergency Veterinary Clinic.
A past board member of the Virginia VMA, Dr. Glasofer had served as president of the Tidewater VMA and the Peninsula Veterinary Association. He was a member of the American Association of Feline Practitioners and a practitioner associate of the American Animal Hospital Association. Dr. Glasofer helped establish the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, and was instrumental in the formation of the Newport News Police Department Canine Corps.
He was active in the Boy Scouts of America and the Peninsula Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Dr. Glasofer edited a humor column in the Journal of Veterinary Medicine/Small Animal Clinician titled "Department of Veterinary Mirth." He is survived by a son and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Rodef Sholom Temple, 318 Whealton Road, Hampton, VA 23666; or Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Attn: Angie Brogan, Duckpond Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
||Allan A. Levanthal |
Dr. Levanthal (COR '51), 78, Bolton, Conn., died Aug. 9, 2002. Retired since March, he founded Bolton Veterinary Hospital in 1953. A World War II veteran, Dr. Levanthal served as a fighter-bomber pilot and flight leader in the Army Air Corps. He attained the rank of 1st lieutenant. Dr. Levanthal was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, Presidential Group Citation, and five battle ribbons for his missions in France, Germany, and Italy.
A member of the Connecticut VMA, he served as president in 1982 and was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1990. Dr. Levanthal is survived by his wife, Doris; a son; and a daughter. His cousins, Dr. Morris L. Povar (COR '44) and Dr. Mark S. Povar (MSU '67), are veterinarians in Florida and Rhode Island, respectively. Memorials may be made to the Life Guardian Fund, c/o Bolton Veterinary Hospital, PC, 222 Boston Turnpike, Bolton, CT 06043; or the North-Central Hospice, 8 Keynote Drive, Vernon, CT 06066.
||John F. Pepper |
Dr. Pepper (MSU '69), 58, Pelkie, Mich., died July 4, 2002. He co-owned a mixed practice with his wife, Dr. Linda B. Pepper (MSU '69), in Pelkie. He was a past president of the Upper Peninsula VMA.
Dr. Pepper supported the Copper Country Humane Society for more than 30 years and volunteered with area schools. He is survived by his wife; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Copper Country Humane Society, Hancock, MI 49930.
||David A. Phillipson |
Dr. Phillipson (COL '44), 79, Sarasota, Fla., died Aug. 15, 2002. Prior to retirement, he was senior vice president and general manager for the Agricultural Division of Upjohn Company in Kalamazoo, Mich. He was also a member of the board of directors. Earlier in his career, Dr. Phillipson practiced in Holbrook, Neb., for 10 years with his uncle, Dr. Peter Phillipson. He was an Army Veterinary Corps veteran.
Dr. Phillipson had served as president of the Nebraska VMA, and chaired the national sponsoring committee of the Future Farmers of America. He also served two terms as president of the Animal Health Institute. Dr. Phillipson's wife, Carol; three sons; and two stepdaughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hospice of Southwest Florida, 5955 Rand Blvd., Sarasota, FL 34238; or Hospice of Jefferson City, 601 E. High St., Jefferson City, MO 65101.
||Bill D. Presley |
Dr. Presley (ISU '77), 61, Flippin, Ark., died Aug. 23, 2002. He owned Presley Veterinary Clinic in Mountain Home, Ark., for 25 years. Dr. Presley was a member of the Arkansas VMA. He served in the Navy.
Dr. Presley's wife, Anne, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
||George N. Rowland |
Dr. Rowland (OSU '65), 64, Athens, Ga., died Sept. 6, 2002. Retired, he was professor emeritus of avian medicine at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine. During his 25 years as a faculty member, Dr. Rowland worked primarily in the Poultry Disease Research Center, with a joint appointment in the Pathology Department.
He took the leadership of the ratite research center. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he was known for his expertise in bone pathology.
Dr. Rowland is survived by his wife, Ruth, and two daughters.
||Leif A. Septon |
Dr. Septon (WSU '41), 90, Phoenix, died July 3, 2002. Retired since 1970, he worked for the Bureau of Animal Industry as an assistant inspector-in-charge for 30 years, serving in Nevada, Montana, Virginia, and Oklahoma. Prior to that, Dr. Septon practiced briefly in the state of Washington.
His wife, Elizabeth, and two sons survive him.
||Barry E. Zonkel |
Dr. Zonkel (ILL '64), 63, Bourbonnais, Ill., died July 31, 2002. Retired since 2001, he practiced small animal medicine at Bradley Veterinary Hospital in Bradley, Ill. Dr. Zonkel was an Army veteran. His wife, Sharon, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Because Animals Really Count, Kankakee County Animal Control and Adoption Center, 1270 Stanford Drive, Kankakee, IL 60901.