Posted on August 15, 2002
Dr. Bonnie V. Beaver transfers the office of board
chair to Dr. James H. Brandt.
Dr. James H. Brandt, Nokomis, Fla., became the first AVMA immediate past president to chair the Executive Board in 87 years. Dr. Brandt was elected board chair July 17. The last time an immediate past president went on to chair the board was when Dr. Clarence Marshall did it in 1915.
Usually, the process works in reverse. Since 1990, seven of the 12 AVMA presidents first chaired the board.
Dr. Brandt ran against District X representative, Dr. Joan M. Samuels, Buellton, Calif., for the position.
The board elected District II representative, Dr. Gregory S. Hammer, Dover, Del., as vice chair. The 1973 Kansas State University graduate is owner-partner of a practice in Dover and represented Delaware in the AVMA House of Delegates from 1986-1999.
Dr. Brandt believes that the knowledge he has gained as president-elect and president will be valuable during his term as board chair. He also chairs the Architectural Design Committee, created by the board in response to his 2001 presidential recommendation to impanel a committee to evaluate designs for the landscaping and beautification of the entrance and first floor of AVMA headquarters. This June, the board authorized $19,000 to commission an architectural firm to carry out three preparatory design steps.
A 1964 graduate of Oklahoma State University, Dr. Brandt was a small animal practitioner in Nokomis and Venice, Fla., until 1997, when he sold his practices. His colleagues named him Florida Veterinarian of the Year in 1993. Dr. Brandt was active in the AAHA, served as president of the Florida VMA (1990) and Southwest Florida VMA (1972), and represented Florida in the AVMA House of Delegates as delegate or alternate delegate from 1989-2000. Former chair of the Sarasota County Animal Welfare Committee, he has been involved in many events with local animal welfare groups and humane societies.