|Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 6754; e-mail at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9239.|
AVMA Honor Roll Member
||M. R. Clarkson, 1908-2002
Former AVMA president, Dr. M. R. Clarkson (WSU '30), Gwynedd, Pa., died May 19, 2002, at the age of 93. He was an AVMA honor roll member.
Before retiring in 1971, Dr. Clarkson was executive vice president of the AVMA. Prior to that, he served as the first director of the Food and Drug Administration's Bureau of Veterinary Medicine, which he helped originate.
Dr. Clarkson was installed as president of the AVMA in 1964. In his address to the House of Delegates, he talked about the need to attract students to food animal practice, the value of constituent associations and alliances with other learned professions, and the importance of legislative initiatives and quality continuing education.
Following graduation, Dr. Clarkson joined the Department of Agriculture's Meat Inspection Division. During his 34-year career with the USDA, he served as assistant chief of the Meat Inspection Division, chief of the Inspection and Quarantine Division of the former Bureau of Animal Industry, and associate administrator of the ARS, retiring in 1964.
He was a member of the former AVMA Committee on Public Health and Meat Inspection. Dr. Clarkson received the USDA Distinguished Service Award in 1956, for his leading role in eradicating foot-and-mouth disease in Mexico. He also received the AVMA XIIth International Veterinary Congress Prize in 1962 and the American Meat Institute's Animal Agriculture Award in 1964. In 1972, the AVMA honored Dr. Clarkson with the Public Service Award. He was given an honorary fellowship in the American College of Veterinary Toxicologists in 1976.
Dr. Clarkson was a member of the District of Columbia VMA, the Illinois State VMA, the Chicago VMA, the New York Academy of Sciences, the U.S. Animal Health Association, the Entomological Society of America, the American Society of Animal Science, and the Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases. He served as secretary-treasurer of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians in 1942, and as chairman of the National Academy of Science-National Research Council's Commission on Animal Health. Dr. Clarkson was actively involved with the Mexican-U.S Commission for Prevention of FMD. He was a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Having also held an LLB degree, Dr. Clarkson was a member of the Federal Bar Association, the National Lawyers Club, and the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States. He is survived by three daughters.
||George T. Adair |
Dr. Adair (GA '31), 100, Cleveland, Ga., died May 25, 2002. Prior to retirement, he was in mixed practice in Elberton, Ga., for 45 years.
Dr. Adair was instrumental in founding the White County Farmers Exchange and the White County Farm Bureau. In 2001, the citizens of White County honored him for his humanitarian acts, veterinary services, and contributions to community development.
||William J. Bracken |
Dr. Bracken (KSU '55), 77, Topeka, Kan., died April 14, 2002. Retired since 1991, he was a faculty member at the Kansas State University School of Veterinary Medicine and the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Nigeria. During his career, Dr. Bracken established the Highland Park Animal Clinic in Topeka and the Brown County Animal Clinic in Hiawatha, Kan. He also served as an associate at the Westside and Eastside veterinary clinics in Manhattan, Kan.
A World War II veteran, he served in the Army Air Corps in the South Pacific. Dr. Bracken also served as a captain in the Air Force Reserve. He was a member of the Kansas VMA. Dr. Bracken's wife, Donna; two sons; and two daughters survive him.
||Arnold R. Gilman |
Dr. Gilman (UP '49), 82, Hume, Va., died March 28, 2002. Following graduation, he practiced in New Jersey for 19 years. In 1970, Dr. Gilman moved to Fauquier County, Virginia, where he was active in the horse community.
A World War II veteran, he served in the Pacific theatre as a pilot in the Marine Corps. Dr. Gilman received three Distinguished Flying Crosses, nine Air Medals, and three Presidential Unit Citations.
His wife, Judith, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, 710 W. 169th St., New York, NY 10032; or Christ Anglican Catholic Church, 95 Green St., Warrenton, VA 20186.
||Robert M. Jarrett |
Dr. Jarrett (KSU '45), 81, Godfrey, Ill., died May 12, 2002. He practiced in Byron, Ill., for more than 50 years, concentrating on bovine reproduction. Dr. Jarrett was a life member of the Illinois State VMA.
He was instrumental in founding the Byron Forest Preserve, serving as president of the board for several years. Dr. Jarrett was a trustee of Byron Township for three terms.
He served in the Army Specialized Training Program.
||Kenneth D. McMartin |
Dr. McMartin (ISU '54), 75, Massena, Iowa, died Feb. 13, 2002. From 1961 until retirement in 1986, he was a field veterinarian for the Dow Chemical Company in Midland, Mich. Prior to that, Dr. McMartin owned a large animal practice in Garner, Iowa.
A World War II veteran, he served in the Navy.
||Eugene E. Musselman Jr. |
Dr. Musselman (GA '57), 68, Tappahannock, Va., died May 19, 2002. Since 1986, he was the owner and president of DVM Consulting in Tappahannock and Richmond, Va. Prior to that, Dr. Musselman was on the faculty of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine. He was also an adjunct professor at the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. From 1957-1968, he practiced with his father, Dr. Eugene E. Musselman Sr. (now deceased).
Dr. Musselman consulted with Riverside Veterinary Laboratories in Richmond, in the late '80s. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, he chaired its Cardiology Certifying Examination Committee in 1985. From 1992 until his death, Dr. Musselman was the chairman of the Virginia Legislative Committee.
He was named a Mark Morris Fellow in 1974, and received the Distinguished Alumnus-of-the-Year Award from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1988 and the Distinguished Veterinarian-of-the-Year Award from the Virginia VMA in 1991.
Dr. Musselman's wife, Wanda, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the ASPCA, 424 E. 92nd St., 4th Floor, New York, NY 10128; or St. John's Episcopal Church, P.O. Box 336, Tappahannock, VA 22560.
||Melvin F. Scoby |
Dr. Scoby (KSU '44), 79, McPherson, Kan., died April 2, 2002. Until retirement in 1994, he owned Scoby Veterinary Clinic in McPherson. Dr. Scoby also owned farms in McPherson, Harper, and Sumner counties in Kansas. He was a member of the Kansas VMA.
Dr. Scoby was an Army veteran. He had served as director of the McPherson Bank & Trust. Dr. Scoby is survived by his wife, Dorothy, and a son.