July 01, 2002

 

 In Memoriam - July 1, 2002

Posted on June 15, 2002

 Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 6754; e-mail at news@avma.org; or fax at (847) 925-9239.


AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member


Kathryn L. Banner

Dr. Banner (TEX '83), 43, Merkel, Texas, died March 28, 2002. She co-owned Merkel Veterinary Clinic with her husband, Dr. Bradley R. Banner (TEX '83), since 1984. Dr. Banner was a committee member of the Texas VMA, serving on several of its committees. She was a past president of the Abilene Area VMA. Dr. Banner was also a member of the AAHA.

Active in civic organizations, Dr. Banner was a past treasurer of the Merkel Lions Club, and was named 2001 Citizen of the Year by the Merkel Chamber of Commerce. Her husband, Bradley, and a daughter survive her. Memorials may be made to the Children's Ministry Fund, First United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 426, Merkel, TX 79536.

Homer K. Caley

Dr. Caley (KSU '52), 79, Manhattan, Kansas, died April 21, 2002. From 1965 until retirement in 1993, he was extension veterinarian at Kansas State University. Prior to that, Dr. Caley owned a practice he started in Webster, S.D.

President of the American Association of Extension Veterinarians from 1979-1980, he was named Extension Veterinarian of the Year in 1977. Dr. Caley was a former board member of the South Dakota VMA, and served as its secretary from 1961-1964. Executive director of the Kansas VMA from 1977-1991, he was Kansas Veterinarian of the Year in 1979. Dr. Caley also received the association's President's Award three times.

His work toward eradication of hog cholera won him special recognition in 1978 from the Department of Agriculture. In 1988, the Food and Drug Administration recognized Dr. Caley for his contributions in developing the model veterinary drug code.

A World War II veteran, Dr. Caley served in the Army Air Corps. His wife, Maxine, who was executive secretary of the Auxiliary to the AVMA for many years, and two sons survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to the Center for Basic Cancer Research, KSU Foundation Center, 2323 Anderson, Manhattan, KS 66502-2911; or Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Manhattan, KS 66506-0117.


Douglas M. Cromeens

Dr. Cromeens (TEX '76), 50, Houston, died April 6, 2002. He had been a professor in the Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery at the University of Texas' M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Following graduation, Dr. Cromeens practiced small animal medicine in San Antonio and Houston for eight years. In 1986, he took on the position of veterinarian for the Texas Heart Institute. Dr. Cromeens joined the faculty of the University of Texas in 1993.

Known internationally for his contributions to surgical research, he was president-elect of the Academy of Surgical Research. Dr. Cromeens was also a board member of the Texas Society for Biomedical Research, and was on the editorial board of the journal of Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. He served as a consultant to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Dr. Cromeens is survived by four sons and a daughter. Memorials may be made to M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Development Office, 1515 Holcombe Blvd., Box 451, Houston, TX 77030-4009.

Anthony W. Feldmann

Dr. Feldmann (CAL '54), 83, Klamath Falls, Ore., died April 12, 2002. He was the former owner of Gateway Animal Hospital in Glendale, Calif. A World War II veteran, Dr. Feldmann attained the rank of captain. He was a 50-year member and a past president of the Rotary Club.

Dr. Feldmann's wife, Marion; two daughters; and a son survive him.

Jack A. Gunn

Dr. Gunn (AUB '53), 81, Springfield, Tenn., died April 29, 2002. Prior to retirement, he owned Gunn Animal Clinic in Springfield. Early in his career, Dr. Gunn practiced briefly in Pulaski, Tenn. He had a special interest in grass tetany and was asked to present his findings at the World Veterinary Congress in Montreal, in 1987. Dr. Gunn was a lifetime member of the Tennessee VMA.

He served in the Army during World War II. A city health officer in Springfield from 1958-1978, Dr. Gunn also served on the Robertson County Commission for eight years. His wife, Peggy, and a daughter survive him. Memorials toward the building fund of Springfield Baptist Church or Gideon's International may be sent c/o The Robertson County Funeral Home, 2201 Memorial Blvd., Springfield, TN 37172.

RuthAnn M. Hesselton

Dr. Hesselton (TUF '84), 54, Oxford, Mass., died April 20, 2002. She had been director of veterinary services at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, Mass., for 15 years. Dr. Hesselton was also an associate professor at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine. Early in her career, she worked as a wildlife pathologist and as a senior environmental analyst for the state of New York. From 1984-1989 Dr. Hesselton practiced part-time in Northboro, Mass.

She was a member of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, the American Association of Zoo and Wildlife Veterinarians, and the Infectious Disease Society of America. Dr. Hesselton had served on committees at the University of Massachusetts and Tufts. She had also co-authored several published articles.

Dr. Hesselton is survived by a daughter and a stepson. Memorials may be made to Zion Lutheran Church, 70 South Main St., Oxford, MA 01540.

Louis W. Mick

Dr. Mick (COR '41), 84, Norton, Ohio, died March 31, 2002. From 1947 until retirement in 2000, he owned the A and B Animal Hospital in Barberton, Ohio.

His wife, Emma, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hospice Care Center, 3358 Ridgewood Road, Akron, OH 44333.

Arthur M. Orum

Dr. Orum (ISU '41), 84, Sun City West, Ariz., died April 21, 2002. Following graduation and until retirement in 1978, he owned a mixed practice in Carthage, Ill. Dr. Orum served as the AVMA's representative to the National Brucellosis Committee in the 1940s. He was a past chair of the AVMA Practitioners Committee for Brucellosis Eradication and a past president of the Mississippi Valley VMA in Illinois. A life member of the Illinois State VMA, Dr. Orum received the 50-year award from the association in 1991, celebrating the 50th anniversary of his graduation.

He was one of the founders and a past editor of The Veterinary Student, a veterinary student publication, established while he attended Iowa State University. Dr. Orum's wife, Margaret; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials benefiting student editors may be made to the Arthur M. and Margaret E. Orum Scholarship Fund, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011.

Frank G. Parker

Dr. Parker (AUB '67), 63, Winnabow, N.C., died March 16, 2002. From 1970 until retirement in 1997, he owned a mixed practice at Cape Fear Valley Animal Hospital in Dunn, N.C. Dr. Parker is survived by two daughters. Memorials may be made to Lower Cape Fear Hospice Center, 725-A Wellington Ave., Wilmington, NC 28401.

Dale E. Smith

Dr. Smith (OSU '53), 76, Waterboro, Maine, died Feb. 17, 2002. Prior to retirement in 1994, he practiced in Caribou, Maine, for more than 40 years. Dr. Smith served in the Marine Corps during World War II in the Pacific theatre. His daughter and four sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the United Baptist Church, 74 High St., Caribou, ME 04736; or the South Waterboro Bible Chapel, Waterboro, ME 04087.


Theodore S. Williams

Dr. Williams (KSU '35), 90, Tuskegee, Ala., died April 15, 2002. From 1981 until his death, he was dean emeritus and professor emeritus at the Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine.

Dr. Williams practiced in Kansas City, Kan., before joining the faculty at Prairie View State University in Texas. He worked for the Department of Agriculture in Des Moines, Iowa, from 1936-1945, serving as a meat inspector. In 1945, Dr. Williams joined the faculty of Tuskegee as a professor and the head of the department of veterinary pathology and parasitology. He was appointed dean in 1947, serving in this capacity for 25 years. Under his deanship, the first class of five students graduated in 1949. Dr. Williams remained a professor until 1981.

Dr. Williams received the Kansas State University Distinguished Alumni Service Award in 1959, the Norden Award for Distinguished Teaching in Veterinary Medicine in 1963, and the Tuskegee Faculty Achievement Award in 1973. He served as president of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges from 1968-1969. Dr. Williams also served as president of the American Association of Veterinary Anatomists in 1969. He was a life member of the Alabama VMA and the Tuskegee VMA.

In 1991, Tuskegee honored Dr. Williams with the naming of the veterinary school's T. S. Williams Veterinary Medical Library, and in early 2002, with the dedication of the Williams-Bowie Hall.

Dr. Williams is survived by two sons. Memorials may be made to the St. Andrew's Episcopal Church Building Fund, 701 W. Montgomery, Tuskegee, AL 36083; or T. S. Williams Scholarship Fund, Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine, Tuskegee, AL 36088.

Milo S. Willis

Dr. Willis (COL '57), 77, Payson, Ariz., died March 22, 2002. Prior to retirement in 1979, he owned Beeline Animal Clinic in Payson. From 1957-1972, Dr. Willis owned mixed practices in Tolleson and Goodyear, Ariz. A World War II veteran, he flew dive bombers in the Navy. Dr. Willis attained the rank of lieutenant.

His wife, Cherrel; a son; and a daughter survive him.