Priorities for the 113th Congress
(View the legislative agenda for the previous Congress.)
The American Veterinary Medical Association's Governmental Relations Division (GRD) advocates the Association's policies and positions on federal legislative and regulatory issues that influence animal and human health and advance the veterinary medical profession. The 113th Congress Legislative Agenda (PDF) lists key federal legislation, organized by issue area, which the GRD is monitoring for the 113th Congress.
Download the complete legislative agenda or click on the pages below to see the federal legislation organized by issue area.
AVMA's Legislative Scoring System:
AVMA prioritizes how it will address bills or regulations when they are posed in Congress. The scoring system uses the following five rankings:
- Active Pursuit of Passage – This means that a high priority application of AVMA resources will be expended to pass the bill.
- Support – This means that AVMA supports the bill; however, it is not a high priority. A low priority application of AVMA resources should be expended on the bill. However, if asked, AVMA is on record for supporting the bill.
- Non-Support – This means that AVMA does not support the bill as written, and it is not a high priority. A low priority application of AVMA resources should be expended on the bill. However, if asked, AVMA is on record of not supporting the bill. If applicable and appropriate, AVMA may identify areas of the bill that would need to be changed for support of the bill to be a consideration.
- Active Pursuit of Defeat – This means that a high priority application of AVMA resources will be expended to stop the bill from becoming law.
- No Action – This means that AVMA has reviewed the bill, but has not taken a position. The Governmental Relations Division staff will continue to monitor the legislation and advise AVMA’s Legislative Advisory Committee should the legislation’s status change.
AVMA Governmental Relations Division Contacts:
Below is the contact information for AVMA's Governmental Relations Division staff. Click here to see the staff's lobbying responsibilities.
- Dr. Mark Lutschaunig, director, 800-321-1473, ext. 3205
- Gina Luke, assistant director, 800-321-1473, ext. 3204
- Dr. Ashley Morgan, assistant director, 800-321-1473, ext. 3210
- Dr. Whitney Miller, assistant director, 800-321-1473, ext. 3211
- Stephanie Fisher, program manager and policy analyst, 800-321-1473, ext. 3208
- Victoria Broehm, communications manager, 800-321-1473, ext. 3213