Introduced by Senator Ben Nelson (NE) this resolution recognizes U.S. zoos and aquariums and commends their employees and volunteers. Calls for continued support for accredited zoos and aquariums and their conservation, education, and recreation programs.
- Accredited zoos and aquariums are valuable assets of American society.
- The Association of Zoos and Aquariums assures that member zoos adhere to high standards for animal health, husbandry, and welfare and operates under a philosophy of continual improvement.
- Zoos and aquariums provide important education opportunities for professional and lay individuals.
- Zoos and aquaria in the US are instrumental to certain types of animal research and conservation.
- Providing honor and recognition to zoos and aquariums will show support for these organizations and demonstrate that the American public recognizes their importance as cultural institutions, education facilities, and conservation advocates.
- This resolution also brings attention to the important roles veterinarians at zoos and aquariums play in animal health and safeguarding endangered species.
- Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works.
- Discharged from committee by unanimous consent 11/8/11.
- Passed Senate by Unanimous Consent 11/8/11.