American Association of Food Safety Veterinarians
Copyright © 2002 American Association of Food Safety Veterinarians
What You Should Know About...
|THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUENT OF THE WORLD ASSOCIATION OF VETERINARY FOOD HYGIENISTS |
THE ONLY PROFESSIONAL FOOD HYGIENE GROUP REPRESENTED IN THE AVMA HOUSE OF DELEGATES
Organized October 16, 1973. Incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois as a tax exempt organization in accordance with IRS Regulations.
| Overview | Objectives | Membership | Officers | Board of Directors | Food Safety Education |
WHAT IS IT?
The American Association of Food Safety Veterinarians (AAFSV) is an organization of veterinarians whose professional activities and interests encompass the many contributions of veterinary medicine to a hygienic food supply.
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES?
- Increase the knowledge of veterinarians engaged in food animal practice, education, and/or the practice of food inspection, hygiene, and safety.
- Elevate the standards of food hygiene veterinarians and underscore their professional expertise, thereby providing a strong positive image.
- Promote the interests of food hygiene veterinarians.
- Emphasize the relationship between veterinary food inspection, food safety, and the public health.
- Promote communications which enhance understanding among the members of the Association and among colleagues in the world food hygiene community, including the sharing of scientific and other relevant information.
- Communicate, collaborate, and cooperate with other scientists and various groups having relevant interests: veterinary specialties; agricultural and industrial associations; research and educational institutions; federal agencies; and, consumer organizations.
- Promote and influence improved food hygiene and safety practices worldwide.
The Association also functions as a speciality professional educational association affiliated with national and international associations. The AAFSV co-sponsors national educational programs in conjunction with the annual AVMA Convention and the annual U.S. Animal Health Association Meeting. We also support state educational conferences.
HOW CAN MEMBERSHIP BENEFIT ME?
- You will gain the advantage of an organized group which will magnify your voice within the AVMA and the various agencies that employ food hygiene veterinarians.
- The AAFSV energetically supports recognition and compensation of food hygiene veterinarians commensurate with their professional education, special qualifications, and experience.
- The AAFSV sponsors and provides leadership in scientific and educational programs in food hygiene, thereby providing a forum for the exchange of information with colleagues who share professional goals and interests.
- The AAFSV brings to the attention of the consuming public the essential contributions of veterinary medicine to public health through expertise in food hygiene.
- The AAFSV augments the scope of professional knowledge germane to the role of veterinary medicine in food hygiene.
- The AAFSV provides its members with periodic newsletters informing them of current trends, activities and developments of interest to food hygiene veterinarians.
In summary, the AAFSV is more than just "another association." Our purpose is to actively address the specific challenges, opportunities and requirements of food hygiene veterinarians as we perform our essential roles impacting public health. We also encourage specialization and work in the food safety aspects of public health.
WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR MEMBERSHIP?
Two classes of membership require application:
- Active Member is a veterinarian who is:
- Engaged in public health, food animal practice or related professional employment (full or part-time) which includes interests or responsibilities pertaining to food hygiene, and
- Member of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
- Associate Member is a veterinarian interested in the AAFSV and its objectives, but does not qualify for active membership. Associate members receive the newsletter and have other privileges of membership, but may not vote or hold office.
Completion of an application form and annual payment of dues are required for either active or associate membership.
Veterinarians have a vital role in ensuring and preserving an adequate and hygienic world food supply. A strong and vibrant professional association is required to ensure that the expertise, opportunities, and responsibilities of food hygiene aspects of veterinary medicine are developed, and that food hygiene veterinarians receive proper recognition, both within and outside the veterinary medical profession. If you concur with AAFSV's objectives, please complete the attached membership application and return with your check.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Help AAFSV so AAFSV can help you!
| AVMA House of Delegates |